Welcome, to “So You Think You Can Dance!” This week, we’re in L.A. for the third round of auditions—and I’m thrilled to report that these auditions were far more successful and entertaining than what we saw on last week’s show.
On with the recap!
The Top 5 Moments From The L.A. Auditions:
1. Jesse Tyler Ferguson on the judging panel. I love him on “Modern Family” and I don’t even care that he may not be a dance expert. He’s so stinkin’ lovable as a self-proclaimed “super fan of the show,” and you could tell he genuinely enjoyed sitting up there with Nigel and Mary. Adorable and hilarious.
2. Alexa Anderson! Our former Cover Model Search winner was the first one up last night, and she got sent straight to Vegas. No surprise there: We knew she was a star when we spotted her on the competition scene, you knew she was a star when you voted her the winner of the 2010 CMS battle, and now the rest of the world will know she’s a star when Alexa inevitably makes it into the Top 20. (Seriously, Nigel and Mary: Put this girl in the Top 20.) We’re rooting for you, Alexa!
3. “No lip syncing.” Mary Murphy, I love you for this. High five. She told the crop of L.A. dancers that she did not want to see any lip syncing. Write this down, dancers and teachers. No one likes lip syncing! I don’t care if you’re doing a musical theater number to “Cell Block Tango” and you swear mouthing the words will make your performance more believable. Let the singers do the singing, you just worry about your sassy moves!
4. All the super-cute contemporary girls. I loved Sam Lenarz, whose mom kicked her out of the house and didn’t support her dancing. Her story was heartbreaking, but with her killer feet and ability to light up the stage, I doubt she’ll be held back in life. Then there was Megan Branch, who danced with a youthful innocence that I found incredibly compelling. Nigel called her a “little firecracker.” And then there was Emily James! Emily was a DS Cover Model Search finalist and she was sent straight to Vegas. Duh.
5. Jonathan Anzalone. I basically like that he looks like Joey Lawrence, and I had a crush on Joey Lawrence when I was in elementary school and he was on that TV show “Blossom.” Jonathan was quirky, fun to watch and could shake his booty better than any dude I’ve ever met.
The “So You Think You Can What?!” Moment of the Night:
How much did I love the “A-list celebrity on a B-list budget” twins, Nick and James Aragon? I loved them so much. They refer to themselves as the “ninja twins,” one is a stylist, one works at “The Village Idiot,” and their double cartwheels were to die for. Are they going to win “SYTYCD?” Um, no. Not at all. But they were adorable and I want them to take me shopping.
Check back next week when we’ll be recapping Atlanta auditions. And of course, tell us what you thought of the show!