What happened this week on “Dance Moms?” Well, Paige and Brooke’s mom Kelli was really angry the whole time, and then Melissa (Maddie and Mackenzie’s mom) tried very hard to suck up to Abby Lee. But as usual, I will skip over all of the silly things that the moms did, and get to what is really awesome about this show: the kids and the dancing. Here are my top five moments.
5. Maddie’s Helen Keller solo. I have to admit, when Abby first described it, I was skeptical. I tend to cringe when little kids do serious solos about things they just don’t understand. But when Maddie got out there and acted her little butt off, I was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes this little winner reminds me why she’s always on top of the pyramid. This was one of those times. I thought she deserved higher than a fourth place title.
4. Nia, the constant underdog, showed us how awesome she can be last week in her duet, so Abby rewarded her with a more mature role that, honestly, may have been a little beyond her technical level. But she embraced it! Though she only placed ninth (a failure in the world of Abby Lee Miller), she really showed that she’s working her way to being one heck of a dancer.
3. Maddie and Chloe’s duet was just really good. Abby even referred to this routine as her secret weapon against the two schools that came to the competition specifically to beat them. Well played, Abby. I dare anyone to find two other kids that can fouetté in unison like that. Phenomenal.
2. Mackenzie’s solo. Yes, it’s true that this girl can do no wrong in my eyes, but I was so proud of her for nailing that solo! Especially after all the pressure Abby put on her—she even threatened to throw little Mac back on stage if she ran off before her dance was over. But apparently having Abby manning the wings only makes her stronger. She remembered every shoulder shimmy and back walkover in that routine. A well deserved first place—plus, her first crown ever! (I might have just cried a little.)
1. What do you mean one kid can’t be on my list twice in a row? Mackenzie has officially nailed the first place spot (for the second week in a row, I might add) by saying this little gem: “I wish Justin Bieber was one of the judges. He’s cute.”
Will Mackenzie ever not make the number one moment on my countdown? My bet’s on no, but check back next week to find out!