On Sunday evening, you will find me curled up on my couch, eyes glued to the TV screen, demanding that anyone in my vicinity, “Please be quiet!”
Oh yes: It’s Tony Awards time.
The Tony’s are my favorite. I don’t care about the red carpet, I don’t care about who’s wearing diamonds from which fancy jeweler — I care about the performances. And this year, I care about the host, the hilariously entertaining and always-on-his-toes Neil Patrick Harris.
It’s guaranteed to be a good show since Harris has proven himself a superstar host. But I’m especially excited about one performance in particular: the Newsies. I’d like to see Newsies take home all the top awards this year because it’s my favorite show right now. Once is another top contender in the Best Musical category, so be sure to check back here Monday morning for the full list of winners.
Until then, I’ll be singing “Seize the Day” at the top of my lungs. You’re welcome, coworkers.
In the spirit of the Tony Awards — and the fact that we just sent our July/August Broadway issue to the printer — I asked the DS staff to share their favorite Broadway songs.
Now, just for you, here’s Dance Spirit’s Ultimate Broadway Playlist…
- “So Much Better” from Legally Blonde: The Musical
- “96,000″ from In the Heights
- “Defying Gravity” from Wicked
- “Seize the Day” from Newsies
- “You Can’t Stop the Beat” from Hairspray
- “One” from A Chorus Line
- “Seasons of Love” from RENT (“Classic.”)
- “Somewhere” from West Side Story
- “I Believe” and “Tomorrow is a Latter Day” from The Book of Mormon
RACHEL’S “OhmygodIlovemusicals” FAVORITES:
- “La Vie Boheme” and “Take Me or Leave Me” from RENT
- “Dance Ten, Looks Three” and “Nothing” from A Chorus Line
- “We Both Reached For the Gun” from Chicago
- “The Circle of Life” and “I Just Can’t Wait to be King” from The Lion King (“Anything Disney automatically jumps to the top of most of my playlists. There’s nothing better on road trips.”)
- “America” from West Side Story (“Best dance number ever.”)
- “If Ever I Would Leave You” from Camelot
- “If I Loved You” from Carousel
- “For Good” from Wicked
- “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Miserables (“I cry like a baby every time I hear it”)
- “Make ‘Em Laugh” from Singin’ in the Rain
- “What I Did for Love” from A Chorus Line
- “Fugue for Tinhorns” and “Adelaide’s Lament” from Guys and Dolls
- “The entire Rock of Ages soundtrack.” Specifically “Don’t Stop Believin’. “
- “Steal Your Rock ‘N’ Roll” from Memphis
(Oh, and if you’re like us and you’re Newsies-obsessed, you may kind of love our upcoming July/August issue. Just saying…)
And don’t forget to tune in to the Tony Awards this Sunday, June 10, at 8 pm on CBS.