I couldn’t have been more excited when I learned Cinderella was coming to Broadway. It’s one of my favorite fairytales and just the thought of seeing Ella’s gorgeous, sparkly ball gown in person made me giddy with anticipation. Lucky for me, DS managing editor Rachel Zar shares my enthusiasm. So we headed to the Broadway Theatre this week singing our favorite tunes from the musical. (Remember the Brandy version?!) We even considered picking up some tiaras and gowns of our own to wear, but ultimately decided we’d leave the dress ups to the kids.
Well, friends, Cinderella sure didn’t disappoint! In fact, I’m already planning to see it again with my mom and sisters when they come to NYC this summer. Here are five reasons why I think you will love it as much as I did:
1. No one could’ve been a better Ella than Laura Osnes. I’m serious—Laura was born to play the role. She’s stunningly beautiful (you know, that drop-dead gorgeous even without makeup kind of pretty), her voice is flawless and she just seems so sweet and kind. She’s got so much talent it’s ridic.
2. It’s super dance-y. There are some seriously technical dance numbers with lots of complicated lifts and steps. And the cherry on the top? Most of the ensemble has major dance chops. Especially, Kristine Bendul. I couldn’t take my eyes off her. (It’s not surprising—a few of her other Broadway credits include Twyla Tharp’s Come Fly Away and Movin’ Out!)
3. You’ll have the songs stuck in your head for days. And it’s a good thing! I love that I fall asleep and wake up singing, “In my own little corner, in my own little chair… I can be whatever I want to be!” Of course, in my head I sound exactly like Laura.
4. There are costume changes like you’ve never seen before! You get to watch Ella transform from bedraggled to beauty twice…onstage…in five seconds. It’s insane. Plus, her wedding gown has like a twenty-foot train. No joke.
5. You’ll feel like a kid again. I’m pretty sure my 8-year-old self would have been in heaven.
You’re dying to see it, right? Well don’t delay! Buy your tickets here.
Now, here’s a sneak peek. Watch Laura and the cast perform at last year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade: