My first thought while watching last night’s episode was that there are so few dancers left! How did this happen? My second thought: Cat looks smoking. The hostess with the mostest could wear a feather duster on her head and be beautiful, but her simple, lacey black number was elegant and perfect. The judges were looking dapper as well. Nigel’s red jacket was, well, a bold choice, Mary looked just lovely, and Jesse Tyler Ferguson (OMG, JTF is back!) had on the best bowtie ever. In dancing news, Witney, Lindsay, Will and Cole were in the bottom four, and we said goodbye to sweet, bubbly Lindsay and goofy, super-tall Will.
Here goes the top 5 moments:
5. Chehon kind of stole the show for me this week. First of all, his baby photos were unreal. Then he did his solo that was so manly. Then he cried. And then Cat almost cried. And then his mom was there with her bright red hair. I think I’m in love. Later, he blew me away again when he danced with Anya (even with that strange elevator music playing in the background). Usually I can’t take my eyes off the women in these sultry ballroom numbers, but this one was all about the man.
“I'm inviting you on my Hot Jalapeño Bus. Woo!” –JTF stealing the Hot Tamale Train’s thunder
4. I knew as soon as I heard that Adé and tiny Tiffany were dancing together that this would be one of my favorites. Then Mandy Moore came on board, and I was sold. Mandy’s a pro at choreographing intricate lift sequences, and this was just the pair to give her choreography that extra wow factor. Can Adé throw me around like that please?
“My rotator cuffs hurt just from watching that.” —JTF on Adé’s awesome muscles
3. I don’t like the quick step. There, I said it. And I know a lot of past "SYTYCD"-ers are in the same boat. This dance is way too complex to perfect with so little time! But Eliana and Ryan changed my mind. This routine by Jonathan Roberts may just be the cleanest quick step I’ve ever seen. She nailed that intricate footwork and kept her ballerina grace and posture with her the whole time. OK, Eliana, I see what all the fuss is about.
“I feel like I know you and I don’t, and I know that’s weird and creepy, and I’m not a stalker.” – JTF on his connection to Eliana
2. Sonya’s choreography for Cole and Allison was a-maz-ing. I loved every second and each time they’d freeze in a new, creepy position I was blown away. This may be my favorite Sonya routine of the season (and I love me some Sonya). Yes, it showed off how stunning and amazing Allison is more than it did Cole, but that’s OK, because I’m team Allison all the way. What? Allison isn’t actually competing on the show? I probably shouldn’t have texted Allison to 83676, then. Oops. (P.S. Have you seen this month’s DS cover?)
“Sonya, you're sporting a new softer look with your side braid, but you don’t fool me. You’re a sick, demented woman, and I love it!” –JTF on why Sonya rocks
1. Jesse Tyler Ferguson! You say I’ve already quoted all the best JTF lines from the show? False. To close out my countdown, I give you these three reasons why JTF should be a permanent judge on the show:
“I have to get out of here. I have something. I have something to do.” —JTF avoiding sending anyone home
“You’re like an adorable puppy covered in puppies, wearing a hat that says, ‘I’m an adorable puppy.’ " –JTF on so-cute-you-could-pinch-his-cheeks Will
“Utah’s empty. No one is in Utah right now. They’re all here.” –JTF speaking the truth
The “So You Think You Can Whaaaat??” moment of the night:
Don’t worry, I won’t quote JTF again. Instead, let’s discuss Cole’s stirrup knee socks during his solo. I spent the whole thirty seconds trying to figure out what he was wearing on his legs and forgot to watch him dance. At least he was saved, so I can remember to watch him next week.
OK, your turn! What did you think of this week’s show? Do you love JTF as much as I do? Do you agree with who was sent home? Sound off in the comments.