Fashion looks better in motion—that's why runways exist. But when does fashion look REALLY amazing? In dancey motion. And exhibit #69372 in the case for the inescapable connection between dance and fashion is this new video from Harper's Bazaar, featuring our favorite dancer/model/rock star, Larsen Thompson.
It's no secret that Larsen Thompson (one-half of the Fraternal Twins) is a total chameleon, serving up some of the meanest #stankface one minute, then modeling in fashion ads like a seasoned pro the next. The latest evidence? This wonderfully dreamy music video for BØRNS' "American Money," directed by Olivia Bee. Larsen floats from scene to scene with authority, unleashing her signature power moves (and red hair!) while serving some insane face. It's a totally new side of our May/June cover girl, and we're loving it. Check out the video below:
If there's one thing to know about Dance Spirit, it's that we loooove viral dance vids. And apparently, so does the entire country—YouTube clicks don't lie! So naturally, Lifetime (home of the OG dance show, "Dance Moms") decided a reality show where eight of the most famous young talents in the commercial world competed against one another to make a dance video for a music superstar would be a good idea. And thus "Dance Video Throwdown," which premiered last night, was born. If you missed the episode, which featured Omi's oh-so-earwormy song "Cheerleader," we've got you covered with the top five reasons we're obsessed with this show:
1. It's like a family reunion of our many talented DS regulars—from "You Should Know" alums Bailey Sok, Larsen Thompson and Charlize Glass, to #BoySquad faves Kenneth San Jose and Will Simmons. Rounding out the amazing eight is otherworldly hip hop queen Taylor Hatala (who's one half of The Fraternal Twins with Larsen), PULSE Protégé Sierra Neudeck and freestyle sensation Timmy Hall.
2. As much as we love our May/June cover girls together, it's sort of fun to see The Fraternal Twins, Larsen and Taylor, battling it out on opposite teams. They're incredible as a unit, but this show really highlights their individuality. It's clear, though, that together or apart, they're still both insanely talented.
3. Omi, the genius behind the forever-catchy "Cheerleader," is so obviously impressed by all the contestants, and it's adorable to watch.
4. The choreographers and directors are the cream of the crop. Brandon Shaw, Ellen Kim, Ryan Parma and Rick Wayne guaranteed that each team's music video was going to be conceptual, bold and beautifully filmed.
5. Travis Wall <3 Need we say more? No, but we're gonna: Watching him marvel at everyone's talent never gets old. And even in the show's most high-pressure moments, he's there to calm everyone down and remind them just how capable they are.
Missed the premiere? Head over to Lifetime to check it out, and don't miss the winning video below:
URGENT. Stop whatever you're doing, grab some leftover holiday cookies and watch Larsen Thompson and Taylor Hatala's latest amazing video. These two powerhouses, who we all know and love as the Fraternal Twins, teamed up with SweetyHigh for their latest production, which is directed by Veronica Zelle and creative directed by Janelle Ginestra and Will "WilldaBeast" Adams. We saw a sneak peek of the vid in the first episode of Ginestra and Adams' "Making the Beast," and oh my goodness it does not disappoint.
Obsessed. (Screenshot via YouTube)
This video is the first of what we hope will be many from SweetyHigh's "Dance Haul" series, which focuses on #GirlPower, and features some of today's most inspiring young dancers. Check it out below!
Slow clap, Free People: You've come a long way since that ad that set the dance world's teeth on edge back in 2014. You've actually hired one of our all-time faves, the fantabulous Larsen Thompson, to promote your new line. And for that we salute you. 🙌
Unsurprisingly, Larsen's Insta spot, directed by Jason Lee Parry, is great: She grooves and hair-flips her way around downtown L.A., looking gorgeous as ever. It's all very easy and breezy and devastatingly cool.
Happy Wednesday, y'all.
Want more Dance Spirit?
When GapFit launched their colorful campaign last summer, we collectively obsessed over it—because of the amazing athletic wear, of course, but also because some of our all-time favorite dance stars were leaping through the photos. And the latest familiar face to join is none other than Larsen Thompson, bona fide commercial superstar and one-half of The Fraternal Twins. It's not surprising, since her modeling career's been taking off just as fast as her dance career—girl knows how to sell it. And we're absolutely loving it—check out the video below (and keep your eye out for Martha Graham's PeiJu Chien-Pott and ABT's Calvin Royal III, who was in the last campaign, too!).
A video posted by GapFit (@gapfit) on
I had the weirdest dream last night, you guys.
I dreamed that Brian Friedman choreographed a fantabulous routine to Ariana Grande's "Into You."
OK, that part's not so weird. Brian Friedman being fantabulous is pretty much par for the course, actually.
Here's the crazy part: I dreamed the choreography video featured LITERALLY EVERY DANCER I'M OBSESSED WITH RIGHT NOW.
Best dream ever. (Screenshot via YouTube)
May/June 2016 cover girl Larsen Thompson was there. So was 2016 Cover Model Search finalist Kerrynton Jones. And January 2013 cover girl Ryan Ramirez. And March 2014 "You Should Know"-er Sean Lew. And—yes—2015 May/June cover star Maddie Ziegler made an appearance, too.
Then I woke up and discovered IT WAS ALL REAL.
Happy Friday to me! Happy Friday to everybody!
Calling all fashionistas! Capezio tapped our always-fierce co-cover girl Larsen Thompson to star in the photos for its new Summer Collection by Betsey Johnson, the reigning queen of sassy style. And, basically, we're #obsessed.
Her majesty, punk princess. (photo via Capezio)
Everyone knows a good dance/fashion collab is one of our most favorite things. So naturally, we swooned when Johnson released her first Capezio collection last summer—modeled by the one and only Maddie Ziegler.
Johnson's latest collection is every bit as fab: Think loads of tulle, edgy prints, ballet pink and super hot accessories (that jewelry ?). And there's Larsen, cementing her supermodel status by giving us her signature face, look after look. NBD.
Um, that choker. Need we say more? (photo via Capezio)