Much of Janelle Ginestra's career has been about helping others shine. She's dedicated herself to supporting and cheerleading her partner, WilldaBeast Adams; the emerging talents in their dance company, ImmaBEAST; and the countless dancers she inspires at master classes and conventions. Her YouTube channel has become a launching pad for young talents like "Fraternal Twins" Larsen Thompson and Taylor Hatala, thanks to viral videos featuring Ginestra's creative vision.
But Ginestra's a skyrocketing success in her own right—an in-demand choreographer, a social media influencer, and a dance entrepreneur, building a legacy one eight-count at a time. It's time for her turn in the spotlight. And she's more than ready. "I want to be a legend in whatever I do," she says. We'd argue that she already is.
Fashion looks better in motion—that's why runways exist. But when does fashion look REALLY amazing? In dancey motion. And exhibit #69372 in the case for the inescapable connection between dance and fashion is this new video from Harper's Bazaar, featuring our favorite dancer/model/rock star, Larsen Thompson.
It's no secret that Larsen Thompson (one-half of the Fraternal Twins) is a total chameleon, serving up some of the meanest #stankface one minute, then modeling in fashion ads like a seasoned pro the next. The latest evidence? This wonderfully dreamy music video for BØRNS' "American Money," directed by Olivia Bee. Larsen floats from scene to scene with authority, unleashing her signature power moves (and red hair!) while serving some insane face. It's a totally new side of our May/June cover girl, and we're loving it. Check out the video below:
If there's one thing to know about Dance Spirit, it's that we loooove viral dance vids. And apparently, so does the entire country—YouTube clicks don't lie! So naturally, Lifetime (home of the OG dance show, "Dance Moms") decided a reality show where eight of the most famous young talents in the commercial world competed against one another to make a dance video for a music superstar would be a good idea. And thus "Dance Video Throwdown," which premiered last night, was born. If you missed the episode, which featured Omi's oh-so-earwormy song "Cheerleader," we've got you covered with the top five reasons we're obsessed with this show:
1. It's like a family reunion of our many talented DS regulars—from "You Should Know" alums Bailey Sok, Larsen Thompson and Charlize Glass, to #BoySquad faves Kenneth San Jose and Will Simmons. Rounding out the amazing eight is otherworldly hip hop queen Taylor Hatala (who's one half of The Fraternal Twins with Larsen), PULSE Protégé Sierra Neudeck and freestyle sensation Timmy Hall.
2. As much as we love our May/June cover girls together, it's sort of fun to see The Fraternal Twins, Larsen and Taylor, battling it out on opposite teams. They're incredible as a unit, but this show really highlights their individuality. It's clear, though, that together or apart, they're still both insanely talented.
3. Omi, the genius behind the forever-catchy "Cheerleader," is so obviously impressed by all the contestants, and it's adorable to watch.
4. The choreographers and directors are the cream of the crop. Brandon Shaw, Ellen Kim, Ryan Parma and Rick Wayne guaranteed that each team's music video was going to be conceptual, bold and beautifully filmed.
5. Travis Wall <3 Need we say more? No, but we're gonna: Watching him marvel at everyone's talent never gets old. And even in the show's most high-pressure moments, he's there to calm everyone down and remind them just how capable they are.
Missed the premiere? Head over to Lifetime to check it out, and don't miss the winning video below:
URGENT. Stop whatever you're doing, grab some leftover holiday cookies and watch Larsen Thompson and Taylor Hatala's latest amazing video. These two powerhouses, who we all know and love as the Fraternal Twins, teamed up with SweetyHigh for their latest production, which is directed by Veronica Zelle and creative directed by Janelle Ginestra and Will "WilldaBeast" Adams. We saw a sneak peek of the vid in the first episode of Ginestra and Adams' "Making the Beast," and oh my goodness it does not disappoint.
Obsessed. (Screenshot via YouTube)
This video is the first of what we hope will be many from SweetyHigh's "Dance Haul" series, which focuses on #GirlPower, and features some of today's most inspiring young dancers. Check it out below!
Slow clap, Free People: You've come a long way since that ad that set the dance world's teeth on edge back in 2014. You've actually hired one of our all-time faves, the fantabulous Larsen Thompson, to promote your new line. And for that we salute you. 🙌
Unsurprisingly, Larsen's Insta spot, directed by Jason Lee Parry, is great: She grooves and hair-flips her way around downtown L.A., looking gorgeous as ever. It's all very easy and breezy and devastatingly cool.
Happy Wednesday, y'all.
Want more Dance Spirit?