Last night the "So You Think You Can Dance" Season 9 auditions made their final stop in Salt Lake City. With "SYTYCD" judging veteran Adam Shankman joining Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy at the judges table, we knew we were in for a great night. A well-known dance hotspot, SLC has been the audition city for at least a couple of dancers each season since it was added to the audition tour in Season 4. Needless to say, expectations were high—and the dancers didn't disappoint! From smokin' hot ballroom dancers to breathtaking contemporary, it was a great night loaded with promising talent.
Here are the top 5 moments from last night's audition:
1. Adrian Lee: First, can we say how HORRIBLE those Season 7 home visits were? Worst. Idea. Ever. If someone isn't going to make the top 20, please don't punish them more. Back to Adrian Lee, this guy is absolutely stellar and by far the best dancer we've seen on the audition tour. Although the judges weren't crazy about his choreography (We thought it was great), they still praised his technique and performance. We can't wait to see him in the top 20! (Fingers crossed!)
2. Leroy Martinez. He runs an after-school program for kids, he works at a doggy daycare and he can seriously bust a move! He's a big dude, but that didn't stop him from wowing everyone with back handsprings, stalls, head stands and more. He was completely unexpected and amazing! We think they should have sent him to Vegas.
3. Gene Lonardo. This dude showed up dressed (complete with glitter face paint!) as a preying mantis ready to show us a routine based on the life cycle of the male insect. You know, the birth, search for mate, mating and finally decapitation—what?! We thought this was for sure going to be a "So You Think You Can What?!" moment, but boy were we wrong! His movement was totally quirky and bizarre, yet surprisingly technical. If we didn't know better we'd have thought a blonde Mark Kanemura was dancing—and you all know how we adore Mark. And we agree with Nigel, Sonya would love him.
4. Deanna "Dee" Tomasetta. Her solo was absolutely gorgeous and the kind of dancing we've come to expect from the show. Her exquisite technique, finesse and dynamic performance quality could just be enough to propel her to the top 20.
5. Whitney Carson. This ballroom dancer is smokin'! Don't let that innocent face fool you, she knows how to work the camera and the judges. With her rockin' bod and stellar technique, there's no doubt she has a real shot at the top 20. Plus, she got the first hot tamale train scream of the season!
The “So You Think You Can What?!” Moment of the Night: Like last week, it was too hard to choose just one.
Second Runner Up: Adam Shankman's bad cold/allergies, which led us to believe that he was crying after every single performance.
First Runner Up: Johnny Ahn the dating machine. With the faces he was pulling during his routine, we're not sure he's going on a date any time soon.
And the Winner Is: Lynn Gravatt. The alien-possessed dancer extraordinaire. She was terrifying and awesome all at the same time. And we absolutely adored her glitter hairspray.
Check back next Thursday morning for the recap of VEGAS WEEK! And don’t forget to let us know if you’re loving this season as much as we are!