It's official: one of our favorite quirky dance films comes to Blu-Ray tomorrow!
This movie may be called Strictly Ballroom, but it involves much, much more: elaborate costumes and makeup, romance and, of course, a ton of incredible dancing.
The 1992 Australian classic, directed by Baz Luhrmann (who brought us Moulin Rouge), tells the tale of rebellious dancer Seth Hastings, who loses his partner just before the prestigious Pan Pacific Grand Prix Championship. Rushing to find a replacement, he’s thrown together with the clumsy-yet-passionate Fran, with whom he shares a dream of performing original steps. In defiance of all the competition's guidelines, the unlikely duo face criticism and doubt from nearly everyone they encounter. No spoilers here; You'll have to watch to see what happens! All drama and obstacles aside, the pair’s talent and dedication make this spectacle the classic it has become.
- Roundtrip airfare to New York
- Two nights hotel accommodations
- $1,000 Chase gift card
- $300 LaDuca gift card
- $200 MAC gift card
- The opportunity to “Jump the Line” and audition at Radio City Music Hall at Rockettes open auditions at the time of your choosing
Sounds pretty dang awesome, right? Here's how to enter. Simply upload a video to the Rockettes' Facebook page showing off your best skills by April 3. (Read all the specifics here.) All submissions will be reviewed by a Rockettes choreographer and the top ten finalists will have their videos posted on Facebook.
Then it's go time! Tell everyone you know to vote for your video from April 8-21. The dancer who receives the most votes wins.
The Rockette open call audition is Tuesday, April 30 in NYC. Break a leg!
1. Select one of the pre-recorded music tracks from the contest tab on the Facebook page. You must use one of the approved songs or your submission will not be considered.
2. Choreograph and film a dance to the song you’ve selected. Be sure to keep your video under two minutes in length. *Your dance can be performed individually or with a partner.
3. Upload your video on the contest tab of Macy's Facebook page.
And hurry! All videos must be submitted by March 15. After you've submitted your video, check out the new Ideology line (we're love the springy bright colors, super-cute styles and awesome fabrics). Then, click here to enter to win an Ideology item of your choice (up to $30). Check out our picks from the collection below.
[portfolio_slideshow nowrap=0 height=500 thumbs=true timeout=4000 showtitles=true showcaps=true showdesc=true]