Sadaise Arencibia in Don Quixote (photo courtesy Teatro Regio di Torino)
While people come from all over the world to train in cities like NYC and L.A., we American dancers often forget to look outside of the U.S. bubble. Here are five artists from around the world that you've probably never heard of—but are about to be obsessed with.
1. Macia Del Prete Macia Del Prete is a contemporary dancer and choreographer based in Milan, Italy. She's currently on faculty at World Dance Movement Italy, an international workshop. While the majority of her training took place in Rome, she also trained at studios in NYC and choreographed for Peridance Contemporary Dance Company. She describes her versatile, dynamic choreography as "a melting pot of stylistic influences."
2. Sadaise Arencibia Sadaise Arencibia has been a dancer with Ballet Nacional de Cuba since 1999 and a premier dancer since 2009. (You might recognize her from Omar Z. Robles' photo shoot with Cuban dancers.) Her dancing has taken her all over the world: She's been a guest artist at Opera de Roma and has performed at galas in Moscow and the Dominican Republic. And her fabulously controlled pirouettes have to be seen to be believed.
3. Sofia Boutella Sofia Boutella is a French-Algerian dancer, model and actress who specializes in hip-hop and street dance. In 2005, she was featured in a Nike commercial, which eventually led to other high-profile opportunities, including touring with Madonna. She's also played lead roles in movies like Street Dance 2 and can be seen in the upcoming film The Mummy.
4. Eri Nakamura A native of Japan, Erin Nakamura trained at The Australian Ballet School and has danced with the Victor Ullate Dance Company in Madrid and Les Grands Ballet Canadiens de Montreal. She's been a member of Israel's Batsheva Dance Company since 2011, and even designed the costumes for the company's Last Work and And Still.
5. Aljaž Skorjanec Born in Slovenia, Aljaž Skorjanec started studying ballroom dance at age 5. Over the next 13 years, he and his partner Valerija Rahle were named Slovenian Champions in Ballroom, Latin, and Ten Dance 19 (!) times. After appearing on the Slovenian version of "Dancing with the Stars," Skorjanec toured the world with the Broadway show Burn the Floor. He joined the cast of the U.K.'s "Strictly Come Dancing" in 2013, and—fun fact—is engaged to "So You Think You Can Dance" alum and fellow "Strictly" pro Janette Manrara.