Hey, “SYTYCD” fans: Want to win a trip to see the finale episode LIVE in L.A.? Of course you do! Click here to enter our “SYT” finale sweepstakes.
Last night, the "So You Think You Can Dance" audition tour hit up our favorite city of all: NYC! We were expecting big things, and of course, the dancers delivered. The episode's focus was on street dancers with a whole lot of heart and determination—not to mention unreal personal style. Tbh, my Top 5 are largely in favor of #TeamStreet.
Gadson in After Midnight (photo by Caitlin McNaney, via Broadway.com)
1. Virgil Gadson's footwork is worthy of James Brown himself and his mega-watt smile reminds me of one of America's other favorite dancers: Fik-Shun. Not only did he have the swagger and street cred to make it to Vegas, he also has the technique. He was a cast member in After Midnight, which we all know DOESN'T slouch when it comes to choreography. A hip-hopper with Broadway cred? Be still my heart. I'm calling him as an early contender for the "SYTYCD" crown.
2. Korey Cleveland showed us what it means to fight for something. After struggling with addiction, a rough home life and incarceration, he found dance. His krumping was raw and intense—exactly what it should be to portray powerful emotion. We'll see how he does with other street styles, but Jason Derulo was right when he said that the show needs someone like Korey.
3. Did you guys catch that montage of amazing #TeamStage dudes? There were three of them and they were all serving technique, charisma and legs for days (I spy a ballet boy!). Though we didn't get to meet them personally, the judges showered all three with praise and I don't doubt we'll see at least one of them in the Top 10!
Hurrikane (photo via Exile Professional Gym)
4. Alain "Hurrikane" Lauture is a locker from Haiti. But what the show didn't mention is that he's an insane waacker, too! Now, I'm no waacking expert (just an obsessed fan), but I haven't seen someone groove like that since Princess Lockeroo blew our minds during her Season 8 audition. I loved everything about Hurrikane, from his grandpa socks to his gorgeous smile. I'm calling him as a contender, too.
5. Oh hey, that looks familiar!
That's our girl Alexia Meyer in her signature power move, the Super Cabriole! As soon as I saw her I knew she'd whip it out at some point during her audition. And sure enough, shenailed it. Jason Derulo's face in this clip is everything. Of course, she's through to Vegas!
At the end of the episode, we were left with 114 #Stage dancers and 105 #Street dancers going through to Vegas. Check back here next week for our Vegas recap—it’s sure to be a moment of truth, as the dancers all face choreography for the first time!